Okay, I know I just blogged about this last week, but I had to revisit it because last night while telling someone my top boy name Elling - I had to repeat myself a few times....Now in doing so I then remembered "Crap I have had to do this a lot". It's nice on paper, but not nice over the phone I bet and so I don't want my child to have to go through his entire life having to spell his name. I have to do it for my last name right now and it sucks! It's such a short last name that people just don't think it's long enough.
So I am on the hunt for a longer first name (Since our last name is short) - has to be 4 letters or more - that goes with the middle name James - to keep in the tradition...
If any of you have thoughts let me know. Jeret is pretty much off the list as I think it falls into the same category as Elling. Since I was just talking with my co-worker and it sounds like Jarid and over the phone I bet it would.
Hopefully Raina is common enough (Because of the word Rain) that people will be able to spell it.
So all those people out there that are lurking and never comment - COMMENT AWAY!! If you don't feel comfortable putting them on here, just email me. I am taking all suggestions, not to say that we will use them, but they can at least go on the list for discussion.
Mike and I have decided we are going to have two names at the birth and then we will decide :)
How long
9 years ago
4 comments:
I hate spelling my last name over the phone. Every time I say the name (it's sounds exactly like it's spelled) and then spell (it starts C-L-O...) when they repeat back it's always C-O-O.... um, that wouldn't sound ANYTHING like the name I said when you asked what my name was! Drives me crazy.
Personally I like Elling, I think it sounds like a great family name you'd keep going. It's unique, without just being a unique spelling to a common name, it sounds traditional....
Our girl name is Emmanuelle- a mouthful and combined with our last name will be 20 letters! But it shortens up nicely, is pretty and feminine and, well, we love it. I know I'll be spelling it over and over and over and probably pronouncing it over and over and over, but I like it, so I'm OK with that.
No boy names to suggest, but I LOVE the name Raina for a girl. :-)
Oh, and if you haven't already looked at it, the best baby name book I found was "Beyond Jennifer and Jason, Madison and Montana." Great resource!
There is a delicate balance in naming. What is worse having to spell your name or having to be called by your first name and last name initial throughout your whole school career?
I have been spelling my name out my entire life and I harbour no resentment for my parents! Would I have chosen the spelling? Um no, I think it is silly :P
My approach to naming is to choose unique names that are fairly easy to spell.
Also like a previous commenter said the book "Beyond Jennifer..." is a FANTASTIC read.
-Meghyn
Thanks to everyone for your comments, really gives me something to think about.
I had a few short names picked out after I did this post and realized that won't work with our last name since it's only three letters ;)
We will get it figured out when the times comes.
Post a Comment