Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Testing, Testing, Testing

On Friday (if you saw my earlier post) I found out from my Midwife that I have Gestational Diabetes. Not Fun, but really nothing I can about it now, except track my sugars and start eating healthier, which I needed to do anyway.

When I found out I was pregnant I started eating more veggies and fruits and TRIED to eat more protein. Those that know me, know that I have a hard time cooking meats, not that I don't like them, because I do, I just don't like to cook and it's easier to make some pasta or a sandwich or a bowl of cereal then making a steak or something....so now it's time to change.

I met with my Dietitian last night and she is AWESOME! I LOVE her. She is super nice. She had me test when I was there and gave me the ranges my sugar is supposed to be between, which is different than most diabetics.

I have to have a fasting blood sugar of 60 to 95 in the morning before breakfast and then I have to test 1 hour after the start of every meal and that blood sugar level has to be less than 130. The nice part is I only have to test 4 times a day: When I wake up, and then after each main meal, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

She gave me TON of info on what carb choices I can have. Example an 8oz glass of Milk is considered 1 Carb Choice (Or about 15 carbs).  For Breakfast I get 2 Carb Choices plus Proteins, Snacks are 1 to 2 plus I can have a protein or any of the "free" items. Lunch and dinner is 3 to 4 (or 45 to 60 carbs) and then I get a dessert snack at night. We talked about the things that I like and she says I don't have to cut them out, just cut them down. So I can have a 1/2 cup of ice cream in the evening but I should put raspberries and/or silvered almonds on top of it and make sure it's only a 1/2 cup. It's better than Frozen Yogurt or Sherbert (at least with carbs).

She also wants me to watch my weight gain and be a little more strict with that, but I think that if I am eating with the plan above I won't be gaining really any weight anyway. Since I won't be eating as many sugars as I was before I can't imagine that I would be gaining as much weight.

I have decided to cut out pop completely, even though I LOVE it, the sugars are too much (way way too many carbs) and the diet pop isn't good for the baby, so until she is born no pop for me. Plus it isn't the greatest for me anyway, so water, milk and a little juice here and there. I have to rethink my Juice in take. Mike's V8 Fusion juice is a lot better than what I was doing, but she said that I can have it with Milk as a snack, so I might try that with some string cheese, which is actually more than I snack on now. So I might be feeling much better since my foods will be more nutritional.

We will see how it goes! Wish me luck! So far today my sugars are good, I had a fasting level of 81 and an after breakfast (after eating 2 eggs, cheese and some chicken lunch meat in the scrambled eggs and 8oz of milk) was only 116.

2 comments:

Sailor's Girl said...

Good luck to you on the Gestational Diabetes journey. I was diagnosed with it during my pregnancy with my second child, (born last year. It can definately be trying at times. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Thanks! It's been going pretty well except my evening meals I am always higher than the 130. I even tried exercise right after dinner last night, but not sure what happened...

Post a Comment

Popular Posts