There was a joke with my husband that I wouldn't stay at a job more than a year or two...I certainly wouldn't be staying at my company for as long as my mom has - Congrats to my mom by the way as this past summer she celebrated her 42nd year at her company - can you imagine!!
After 9 months in my job as a Business Solutions Analyst for a health and wellness company I decided this company wasn't what I wanted and the commute was too much. Granted not very long but after driving 2 miles to my previous job it was a long drive every day.
A good friend of mine Joan that I worked with at SUPERVALU was a consultant for a firm in the Twin Cities. She got me an interview and I was lucky enough to get hired. This was something completely new to me but I figured hey this way I can switch jobs and still stay with the same company. Mike would be happy right?? Well I was also lucky enough to get a job right away and I started working at a Health Insurance company here in the cities. The drive was only 7 minutes from my house and I was getting paid the most I had since I graduated college. I loved the consulting firm, I loved the people I worked with at the insurance company and I loved the work I was doing.
They kept offering me a full time job at the insurance company and I kept turning them down. Until December 2008. They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse and at this point I was still working in the same position I had been since I started almost a year and a half later. So I took the job and I have been there ever since. In that time though my position has changed which has been great. I have had an opportunity to do a lot of different things and learn a ton about IT. See I told you full circle!
Work history there:
Business Analyst - working on a now legacy system used to manage people's care for government programs. I was able to learn how to write requirements documents, test documents, run meetings on my own and do some analysis on some other projects
Systems Analyst - Our role changed over at some point - I can't remember when - and we started doing much more system analysis than on the business side. I moved to another legacy project and met some awesome people. Another person that changed my life (see another post about her).
Business Solutions Architect - Our group completely changed roles and went into something entirely different. It was fun to learn the different things that I did while I was in this position. We helped projects that were across the company to make sure the solutions worked between all the systems.
IT Governance & Continuous Improvement Project Manager - this is my current position which I have been in for a few months now. I LOVE IT! It's probably the best fit to my skills that I have ever had in my entire career. I truly feel like this is what I am meant to do. I am doing analysis on metrics that we track for our senior leader. Helping our team figure out the best way to track that and how to show the status' for our senior leader. I get to be analytical and creative all at the same time!
More Later!

After 9 months in my job as a Business Solutions Analyst for a health and wellness company I decided this company wasn't what I wanted and the commute was too much. Granted not very long but after driving 2 miles to my previous job it was a long drive every day.
A good friend of mine Joan that I worked with at SUPERVALU was a consultant for a firm in the Twin Cities. She got me an interview and I was lucky enough to get hired. This was something completely new to me but I figured hey this way I can switch jobs and still stay with the same company. Mike would be happy right?? Well I was also lucky enough to get a job right away and I started working at a Health Insurance company here in the cities. The drive was only 7 minutes from my house and I was getting paid the most I had since I graduated college. I loved the consulting firm, I loved the people I worked with at the insurance company and I loved the work I was doing.
They kept offering me a full time job at the insurance company and I kept turning them down. Until December 2008. They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse and at this point I was still working in the same position I had been since I started almost a year and a half later. So I took the job and I have been there ever since. In that time though my position has changed which has been great. I have had an opportunity to do a lot of different things and learn a ton about IT. See I told you full circle!
Work history there:
Business Analyst - working on a now legacy system used to manage people's care for government programs. I was able to learn how to write requirements documents, test documents, run meetings on my own and do some analysis on some other projects
Systems Analyst - Our role changed over at some point - I can't remember when - and we started doing much more system analysis than on the business side. I moved to another legacy project and met some awesome people. Another person that changed my life (see another post about her).
Business Solutions Architect - Our group completely changed roles and went into something entirely different. It was fun to learn the different things that I did while I was in this position. We helped projects that were across the company to make sure the solutions worked between all the systems.
IT Governance & Continuous Improvement Project Manager - this is my current position which I have been in for a few months now. I LOVE IT! It's probably the best fit to my skills that I have ever had in my entire career. I truly feel like this is what I am meant to do. I am doing analysis on metrics that we track for our senior leader. Helping our team figure out the best way to track that and how to show the status' for our senior leader. I get to be analytical and creative all at the same time!
More Later!
0 comments:
Post a Comment