I figured since this blog is called Working Mama I might want to write about more than just the mama part. Lately I have been thinking about my life and a lot of what if's. I wasn't thinking that I would change anything, it was more thinking, what if such and such didn't happen would I still be here today.
I had a rough start in college. All my life (and I am talking from when I was super little) I wanted to be a veterinarian. I had even drawn up how my clinic was going to look and how many kennels I was going to have. Then I got into High School and realized that I had a different type of brain and that science and math weren't totally my thing. Heading into College I had really NO idea what I was going to be. So what did I do - Started out as a Computer Science Major...seems that I have come full circle.
My college days went like this:
Freshman year - Almost got kicked out (my GPA was a .75) I was a computer science major, psychology major and then I had no idea.
Sophmore year - Decided on my major after taking a women's studies class. I really wanted to be a Women's Studies major.
Junior year - Added on a Communications major onto my women's studies major.
I think my parents had a mild (okay maybe a major) panic attack when I told them this - what are you going to do with that major. I had planned on working for some cool non-profit and eventually opening up my own after school girls program (which is not totally out of my mind today).
Anyway - fast forward after college, and during college I worked for not 1 but 2 really cool non profits Dads and Daughters and New Moon Publishing. I met a lot of really cool people and was able to work there until my Hubby and I moved to the Twin Cities.
I came to the realization that living in the cities was expensive and that jobs were scarce. So I temped for awhile and that's how my time in IT started. I was an Administrative assistant for a really cool guy Mark. He was one of the best bosses I have ever had! I really owe him a lot. I owe him where I am today.
More later.....

I had a rough start in college. All my life (and I am talking from when I was super little) I wanted to be a veterinarian. I had even drawn up how my clinic was going to look and how many kennels I was going to have. Then I got into High School and realized that I had a different type of brain and that science and math weren't totally my thing. Heading into College I had really NO idea what I was going to be. So what did I do - Started out as a Computer Science Major...seems that I have come full circle.
My college days went like this:
Freshman year - Almost got kicked out (my GPA was a .75) I was a computer science major, psychology major and then I had no idea.
Sophmore year - Decided on my major after taking a women's studies class. I really wanted to be a Women's Studies major.
Junior year - Added on a Communications major onto my women's studies major.
I think my parents had a mild (okay maybe a major) panic attack when I told them this - what are you going to do with that major. I had planned on working for some cool non-profit and eventually opening up my own after school girls program (which is not totally out of my mind today).
Anyway - fast forward after college, and during college I worked for not 1 but 2 really cool non profits Dads and Daughters and New Moon Publishing. I met a lot of really cool people and was able to work there until my Hubby and I moved to the Twin Cities.
I came to the realization that living in the cities was expensive and that jobs were scarce. So I temped for awhile and that's how my time in IT started. I was an Administrative assistant for a really cool guy Mark. He was one of the best bosses I have ever had! I really owe him a lot. I owe him where I am today.
More later.....
0 comments:
Post a Comment